top of page


Family sponsorship is a great pathway for families to reunite with their parents, grandparents, spouse, and relatives. Did you know you can sponsor your relatives to come to Canada to live permanently? There are certain requirements to be met in order to be able to sponsor your loved ones under this program. According to the 2019 Annual Report to Parliament on Immigration, out of 321,035 permanent residents admitted to Canada, 85,179 families were re-united under the family sponsorship stream.

Spousal Sponsorship
Family Portrait
Parents/Grandparents sponsorship application

Family Sponsorships

Under this pathway, if you are eligible, you must be able to support your family members financially and make sure that they are not a burden on the government and require social assistance.

Whom can you sponsor?

You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, dependent child/Adopted child, and Parents/Grandparents.

There is a two-step process in this category of sponsorships. First, you are approved as an eligible sponsor. Second, the applicant's (the person whom you are sponsoring) application is processed and in that process, the IRCC will do a background check, such as criminal background check, medical check, and other security checks to make sure that the person who is applying is not inadmissible to Canada.

Sponsor your Spouse, partner, or dependent child:

In this type of sponsorship, there are various steps and filters one has to go through. As mentioned above, one must be an eligible sponsor.

A sponsor is a person who signs an undertaking to give financial support for basic needs such as food, clothing, shelter, and other medical needs that are not covered by the public health services. This undertaking is a binding promise of support, meaning that it is the sponsor's responsibility to support the applicant for the length of the undertaking period even if the situation changes.

The length of undertaking for a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner is 3 years from the day your partner becomes a permanent resident.

If you are sponsoring a dependent child over 22 years of age, then your undertaking is 3 years from the day your dependent child becomes a permanent resident.

If your child is under 22 years of age, then your undertaking is for 10 years from the day your dependent child becomes a permanent resident, or until the child becomes 22 years old, whichever comes first.

An important fact to know? You can sponsor your partner while being outside Canada only if you are a Canadian Citizen! However, the sponsor must prove that he/she will reside in Canada once the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.

Sponsor your Parents/Grandparents:

This type of sponsorship is slightly different from the aforementioned sponsorship for spouses and common-law partners. Unlike the spousal sponsorship, there is a unique draw system for this category in which one must fill the expression of interest to invite their parents.


Furthermore, to be an eligible sponsor, the person must also prove that he/she has enough money to be financially responsible to support their parents/grandparents. For this part of the eligibility, one must meet the income requirements for each of the 3 tax years before the date you intend to apply. 

The required income is calculated based on the number of total family members including the sponsor and the income table provided by the IRCC. This part of the equation could be complicated, however, it can overwhelming at the same time. In order to completely understand the steps and time frames, you might require the assistance of an RCIC who specializes in these types of applications. Therefore, at Gogna immigration you can rest assured that your application/case is in safe hands.

For detailed consultation, please contact us.




General Inquiry Form

Work Experience
Education Level
bottom of page